Sunday 11 January 2015

How To: Wear Purple Lipstick

Today I've got a makeup tutorial for you all, featuring as the title says a purple lip. There are a lot of beautiful purple lipsticks in makeup stores at the moment, but I know a lot of people tend to avoid them because they can seem too daring and a purple lipstick is tricky to feature in a makeup look. I've chosen to do a makeup look that isn't too difficult and really helps bring out the purple lipstick without you looking like a witch or a crazy person!

This is just my interpretation and some people may feel like this sort of look wouldn't suit them or that they would prefer to try a different approach, which is totally fine! There are so many different ways to style a purple lipstick, in fact I love observing other people's makeup looks - as it's where the majority of my inspiration comes from.




When wearing a bold lip, I like to have a flawless face so here I've chosen a medium to full coverage foundation - Estée Lauder Double Wear Foundation in the lightest shade which is 1W1 Bone. This is my all time favourite foundation even above my trustworthy MAC foundation. It doesn't budge in the slightest, I've even slept with this on and when I woke it was still in perfect condition with a full coverage. It glides on smoothly and I use my Buffing Brush from Real Techniques to blend this in. There is also a vast shade range, so there shouldn't be any struggle when searching for a shade to suit you. The only negative thing I can say is that this product isn't cheap and ranges in different shops from £25 - £30. Saying this it is definitely worth it and it has lasted me a while because I only wear it for special occasions and parties. I teamed this with MAC's prolongwear concealer which I also used to highlight my face and MAC's mineralize skin finish powder. 


I have concentrated heavily on contour with brown and beige undertones rather than a more fluttery blusher. I used Benefit's hooler bronzer as it works perfectly with my my skin tone and unlike many it doesn't contain orange undertones. I used a blusher from Sleek but I only applied it lightly as I wanted this look to be very matte rather than shimmery. 


The eyes in this look are made up of neutral and subtle colours. I used shades from the Naked Basics and Naked 3 palette. I used Venus for my lid and to highlight my brow bone. I put Naked 2 in my crease and dusted Liar and Blackheart together over my crease and at the corner of my eye. One of the main features to this look is a strong winded liner. I didn't necessarily make it thick but concentrated on the sharpness and neatness of the line. I brought it very close to the inner corner of my eye and kept the line the same thickness all the way along. I used mascara but because it's a glamorous eye look you could wear fake eyelashes too. I also added a strong brow but using my usual brow products.




Finally the lipstick itself! This is a colour I've been eyeing up for such a long time and I finally have it! It's a lovely matte shade by MAC and it's called Heroine. It has a slight pink undertone but it clearly a strong purple shade. I've been told also that this applies nicely with MAC's magenta lip liner underneath. However, I applied it alone and even then the pigmentation is thick and covers the lips just perfectly! Because I know MAC lipsticks are more expensive, Sleek have a cheaper version called Mystic. 



I did use artificial lighting for this photo so the colouring may be slightly off, but the photo of the lipstick itself gives a better example of the colour.

I usually style this with plain colours or dark colours as I'd like for the lipstick to stand out and for the clothes to not take all the attention away from it.


I'd just like to leave you with the confidence to wear a bright purple lipstick. A year ago I would never have the nerve to walk out the house with such a bright lip because I'd feel anxious about what others thought of me. But I've realised people are always going to have something to say and if they do it's usually because they find you or something about you interesting, or that they're jealous! The only person you need to impress is yourself because at the end of the day it is your life and you only go through life as you. Remember you can't change other peoples opinion's only your own. Oops, I didn't mean to get that deep.  

As always, thank you for reading! Now that the holidays are over and I'm back into the swing of things so I'll try to post regularly of once a week. 

Gina x

No comments:

Post a Comment